blogdowntown 89.3 KPCC | Southern California Public Radio

Stay Connected

@blogdowntown on Twitter
blogdowntown on Facebook


 

Downtown's Thinnest Building? Today, 125 W. 7th is Just an Annex

By Eric Richardson
Published: Friday, May 08, 2009, at 12:35PM
Metcalf Building, 115 W. 7th Los Angeles Examiner / USC Digital Archives [digarc.usc.edu]

The Los Angeles Examiner called the 1929 structure at 115 W. 7th "Downtown's Needle," illustrating that idea by adding needles and thread to a photo of the structure.

Passersby on 7th street likely don't give a second look to this funny-looking little annex on 7th street, a small piece of the Board of Trades building, now SB Main. Just twenty-five feet wide, the little structure was originally a building all its own.

The five-story 115 W. 7th was a Class A office building at its opening in June of 1929. Designed by architect Harold Johnson and built on a lot only twenty-feet by fifty feet, it featured a floor area of 6,250 square feet.

In April of 1930, the entire building was leased by Earle K. Fleming.

The building was subsumed by the Board of Trade structure in 1961, when Bank of America bought both of them to expand its headquarters at 650 S. Spring. Combined, the three structures gave the bank 500,000 square feet.

The remodel that accompanied the bank's purchase left 125 W. 7th's street face windowless, giving it a distinctly annex'y look. Today the Bank of America complex is owned by developer Barry Shy, and 125 W. 7th is part of his SB Main residential building.

SHARE:

Tweet This Story || Share on Facebook