blogdowntown 89.3 KPCC | Southern California Public Radio

Stay Connected

@blogdowntown on Twitter
blogdowntown on Facebook

Downtown Streetcar

Red Streetcar

By Eric Richardson — April 22, 2008 — 18 Comments

The proposed streetcar system for Downtown is often referred to as a revival of the Red Car, the romanticized system that connected all parts of the L.A. area. ...

Portland Streetcar Trip

By Eric Richardson — April 18, 2008 — 4 Comments

One of the most interesting things presented in yesterday's talks about the Portland Streetcar was the pace of construction. Mike Powell, owner of massive Portland...

Portland Streetcar Trip

By Eric Richardson — April 17, 2008 — 8 Comments

It was a full day for the more than two dozen members of the Downtown group up in Portland to ride streetcars and hear about how development has blossomed along...

Streetcar in the Pearl

By Eric Richardson — April 16, 2008 — 16 Comments

Councilman Jose Huizar leads a trip to the Pacific Northwest this week, as a delegation of approximately two dozen head to Portland and Seattle to ride streetcars...

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa

By Eric Richardson — February 14, 2008 — 30 Comments

Last night the Bringing Back Broadway Trustees held their first meeting high above Downtown in City's Hall Tom Bradley room. The group was created last month to...

By Eric Richardson — February 08, 2008 — 13 Comments

Yesterday the CRA Board approved a $60,000 expansion of its contract with the IBI Group, the consultants working on plans for a new streetcar in Downtown. The group...

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa

By Ed Fuentes and Eric Richardson — January 28, 2008 — 1 Comment

Turnout was high for this morning's unveiling of the Bringing Back Broadway initiative, and the energy in the room gave rise to hope that this might finally be the...

By Eric Richardson — September 07, 2006 — 7 Comments

Earlier this week the LA Times ran the unfortunately named "In Los Angeles, the Desire of Some Is Named Streetcar. It talked about the release of the CRA's plodding...

By Eric Richardson — December 06, 2005 — 3 Comments

This morning the Red Car Advisory Committee met to discuss the status of the ongoing feasibility study. The group, which I've mentioned previously, heard a presentation...

Picturing Red Car Routes

By Eric Richardson — September 06, 2005 — 5 Comments

I took a little time away from the computer this weekend and watched college football (it was a nice start for the Trojans), so hopefully that's enough of an excuse...

By Eric Richardson — June 06, 2005 — 4 Comments

The first meeting of the reinvigorated LA Red Car Advisory Board was tonight. I was asked to participate as a residential / student voice, so I'll try to keep people...

By Eric Richardson — April 11, 2005

This week's Downtown News also includes a short notice that a consultant has been selected for the Downtown Red Car Study. If you remember back to December, I covered...