October Art Walk to Proceed as Planned
Looking down at Art Walk patrons from above POPLOCK gallery in May 2010.
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES — The Downtown Art Walk's future is still up for debate, but the event will be proceeding as planned on October 14 despite a Friday announcement that it had been cancelled.
That announcement, posted on the Downtown Art Walk website, said that the event was "ceasing all event operations until January 2011," when it would return as a quarterly, weekend event.
The board of the non-profit set up to run Art Walk this afternoon issued a release blaming Executive Director Jay Lopez for making the statement without its approval.
"The announcement made to the media on Friday by Jay Lopez, the former director of the event, was made on his own initiative without authorization or support of the Board or any of the other constituents of the endeavor, including the various civic organizations responsible for managing, financing and supporting the event," the statement read in part.
Friday's announcement caught the Downtown community by surprise, with many of the 240+ comments posted here on blogdowntown indignant that the event would be cancelled without a community discussion.
Today's statement says that changes to the event are being considered.
"The organization's board of directors has been considering whether to make changes to the event to address issues of public safety and costs associated with a monthly event that draws 20,000+ visitors each month."
It notes that "no resolution has yet been made."